This autumn the London Borough of Lewisham is to play host to a brand new cultural festival centred on the subject of ageing and creative approaches to the issues that can come with growing old. Age Against the Machine – Festival of Creative Ageing will take place 13 September – 6 October 2019 in venues and outdoor spaces throughout the Borough.
Purpose of the role
Festival volunteers will be an essential part of the Festival. As a volunteer you will help support a programme of artistically rich and diverse events which have been programmed, curated and created for, by and with the local community. Event volunteers will help local residents and visitors to feel welcomed, informed and engaged during the festival and have the chance to enjoy a range of different kinds of creative activities.
- Meeting and greeting
- Helping to hand out refreshments
- Supporting the front of house team
- Sharing information on the festival
- Encouraging people to take part in different activities
- Collecting feedback on specific event.
Skills/ Qualities / Experience needed
- Friendly and willing to talk to anyone and everyone
- Sensitive in dealing with people from a range of different backgrounds, with a range of different (health and access) needs
- Excellent communication skills
- An interest in the arts and supporting people to be creative
- Enjoy working in a team and proactive and flexible
- Ideally some experience of event volunteering (not essential).
We are asking volunteers to commit to a minimum of three events. Please see the website for more information on festival events: https://www.ageagainstthemachine.org.uk/
Location: Various locations across Lewisham.
Training: You will receive training to equip you with the skills you’ll need as a festival volunteer. You will need you to attend one of the training dates below. Both will take place at the Albany, Douglas Way, Deptford, SE8 4AG:
- Friday the 6 September, 2pm – 4.30pm
- Monday the 9 September, 6.30pm – 9pm
The training will cover information about the festival; dementia friendly training and training around communication.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 6949 007 for more information about volunteering at the festival. Or use the downloads box on the right to download and the application form and return it to Sarah using the information in the form. We will do our best to support you with any access requirements you have, so please get in touch if you need any adjustments made to the application process, training or volunteer role.